Changing worlds with photography.
Development in Gardening (DIG) - Photographer - Matt Dutile
What We're Doing - Who We're Helping
Hi, I'm Matt Dutile. As a travel and lifestyle photographer I've been truly fortunate to capture images for companies, magazines, and tourism groups all around the world. I've seen incredible wonders and intractable hardships, and have always hoped to improve the people of the communities I visit with my photography. With your help, I have the chance to do just that - to give back to an incredible cause and several communities in desperate need.
In April 2017, I will travel to Kenya and Uganda for two weeks with the support of Photographers Without Borders to create images of several communities supported by Development in Gardening (DIG). Those images will help DIG create continued awareness of their mission and further generate donations. DIG teaches African communities (especially those affected by HIV) how to create sustainable agriculture to improve their nutrition and feed their families by becoming farmers. Here are the two communities I will be working with on my project.
The Batwa in Uganda
- In 1991 the Batwa pymgme tribe were evicted from their ancestral home in the Bwindi Forest in an effort to safeguard the 320 endangered mountain gorillas living there
- Known as the "Keepers of the Forest," the Batwa had co-existed with the wildlife of Bwindi for millennia, but were given no land and no compensation when they were evicted, as they had no concept of land ownership in their tribe. After over 20 years as squatters they have finally been given small, difficult land rights on the hills
- They became conservation refugees, and faced terrible stigmas of racism, chronic malnutrition, poverty, and HIV
- DIG has been given clearance by the Ugandan government to work with 3 of the 6 Batwa communities to train 400 women in small scale agriculture and gardening
- This is an incredible opportunity to help turn the lives and fortunes around of a community of people as endangered as the gorillas of Bwindi
The Maasai & Rhodi Kompany in Kenya
- DIG has helped bring improved farming knowledge, food security, and new practices to the Lwala Community Hospital
- The Hospital works with three core groups: 1) Umama Salama group, which work as community health workers to encourage safe motherhood and birthing practices; 2) HIV support group; and 3) a youth group made up of young men and women, many of whom do not have enough money to stay in school but can use the skills gained through this program to earn their way back
- In Rhodi Kompany, DIG operates a mobile farmer field training school and cooking demonstrations for young mothers
- The DIG garden in Rhodi Kompany is also based out of the clinic there, where it serves HIV-affected persons
- At the edge of the world famous Maasai Mara National Park, DIG teaches young Maasai students about creating sustainable agriculture through a school garden
How You Can Help - What You Get in Return
I'm donating a substantial amount of my time, money, and experience to this incredible organization and project - but I can't do it without you. If you have the ability, please help with a financial contribution at the top right of this page. Your funds will defray the on-the-ground costs we need to make this feasible, such as: transportation, lodging with a community coordinator, and airfare. For Americans (and Canadians with a US Bank account) your donation counts 100% as a write-off on your end of year taxes.
As a personal thank you, I will pay for, print, and ship these extra incentives to anyone who donates at these levels:
- At $50+ you'll get a series of five postcards with images from both communities that you've helped
- At $100+ you'll get to pick a museum quality printed 8x10" image of a person or community you've helped
- At $250+ you'll get five postcards, a museum quality printed 8x10" and 12x18" images of a person(s) or community you've helped
If you can't donate at this time, you can still help out by spreading the word. Please click the share buttons at the top right of this page to let your friends know about what we're trying to accomplish. Your support is invaluable in every way you can lend it.
About Development in Gardening (DIG)
Development in Gardening’s projects enable vulnerable and HIV-affected communities to meet their own needs and improve their well-being through nutrition-sensitive and sustainable agriculture.
- Improve the health of individuals through gardens designed to meet specific nutritional needs
- Work with participants to build agricultural skills necessary to develop and maintain diverse, sustainable gardens
- Build the capacity of gardeners as local resources for information, education, and replication
- Promote Gender Equity at both the household and community level
- Link nutrition, gardening, and health
- Enhance community’s food security and livelihoods
Take a look at this video by DIG to understand the people and communities your donation will help.
About the Photographer
Matt Dutile is a New York City based travel and lifestyle photographer. He grew up in a small New Hampshire farm town before venturing west seeking buried treasure, as most explorers do.
He’s a problem solver and story teller, an experience maker and fun creator. Sometimes he rhymes. Mostly he smiles.
Matt has the absolute pleasure to spend his life doing what he loves; traveling the world, making people laugh and capturing the energy of the moment forever. He believes that great photography is not just about captivating images, but creating an enjoyable experience for both client and crew.
Matt has worked with clients including Endless Vacation, DestinAsian, Delta Sky, National Geographic Traveler, American Express, Adidas, Livestrong, and more.
About Photographers Without Borders (PWB)
Every year, our photographers and videographers donate hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of their time to document the work of grassroots initiatives that are making a real change in this world where it is most needed. By capturing, honoring and witnessing humanity at its best, we are not only inspiring many, but we are forging new narratives of what is and what is possible.
You can help by supporting our photographers and videographers (See the side bar to the right to see fundraisers for our most recent recruits).
Each of our official photographers/videographers is assigned a GroupRev fundraising page by PWB upon acceptance. These pages are a privilege we offer that are intended to make our programs accessible to all and enable our volunteer photographers/videographers to raise their program fees and subsidize or cover these necessary project-related expenses:
- Health Insurance
- Travel Insurance
The following expenses are the sole responsibility of the photographer/videographer:
- Privately arranged travel / Equipment & Equipment Insurance / Software / Extra Baggage Fees / Donation perks / Clothing / Postage/Postcard / Prints / Etc.
Photographers Without Borders® (PWB) envisions a world where we all put ourselves in each others' shoes and work together. Our mission is to inform and inspire positive change by visually communicating the ways that grassroots initiatives are addressing problems in their communities. PWB is registered as a charity in the United States with 501(c)(3) status and is registered as a not-for-profit organization in Canada. All donations are calculated in US Dollars and are tax-deductible for Americans and Canadians with US income.
PWB is not responsible for any donations made outside of these pages.
Any overage amounts raised on GroupRev will be donated with the photographers direction - 100% to the Organization.
PLEASE DONATE GENEROUSLY !
All donations are calculated in US Dollars and are tax-deductible for Americans and Canadians with US income.
Red Hat Corporate Match for Matt Dutile
|Rachel and Joe||$75.00|
Thank you for helping making this world a better place and capturing it for us all to see.
Hope it helps!
You're doing wonderful work Matt!
Chicago Community Foundation
Corporate Match Chicago Community Foundation
Hi Matt, Congratulations on such a great cause. All the best to you in your travels and efforts. Be safe. With our best, Bob and Donna Cormier
|Ann and Bob||$50.00|
Matthew .. I'm so proud of you for all you do for others
Kevin & Jackie
Kim and Joe Lubelczyk
We are so proud of you Matt!
Joyce & John Woodrow
Love seeing photos of your travels Matt. Good Luck with this project!
Bon Voyage ! Best of luck for this worthwhile cause.
For a great cause!